Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Kandy Kritique -- Pez

I've decided to review a classic candy, albeit one I haven't had since I was about four. Pez. I remember getting a hold of some Pez candy as a kid and thought they were quite tasty. So, just for a lark, I decided to review them all these years later. I didn't bother with a dispenser, wanting to review them strictly on their merits as a candy. I tasted them straight from the pack.
I didn't expect much. After all, Pez is a compressed "tablet" candy. Such sweets aren't decadent or gooey or rich. I always thought that Pez was a children's toy candy and the main enjoyment was the novelty dispenser, and the confection itself would probably taste like dust to my now-adult taste buds.
Was I wrong!
When I placed one of the tiny, pretty, colorful bricks of flavored sweetness in my mouth, the piece melted into a sweet, fruity, slightly creamy-tasting flavor fantasy. Think hardened, fruit-flavored cake frosting. That's Pez.
For me, the appeal of Pez is that they're smoother than many other compressed candies. They're not grainy. Another thing that sets Pez apart from other candies of its type is that they're not sour or tart at all. They're all about the sweet (There are sour Pez available, but I don't see the point, what with other sour compressed candies out there, such as SweeTarts and Spree) and they are very addicting.
I've tried the Cherry, Lemon and Grape and I like them all equally. Now I would like to try orange, strawberry, cola, and chocolate.
I give them a rating I reserve usually for far more decadent candy items. These sweet little gems so richly deserve it.

This candy has been rated D (Divine)

No comments: