Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Kandy Kritique -- Kit Kat White

Some candyfans like milk chocolate best, others favor dark, others prefer white. I enjoy all three equally, but white chocolate reminds me of being a young teen in the early 80s and buying -- and savoring -- chunks of white chocolate from the candy kiosk in my local mall.
And I always loved thin wafer cookies. They remind me of early childhood. So why would I not love a candy that combines those delectable elements and the memories they impart?
Unfortunately, the coating on a Kit Kat White is a "white confection" or "white fudge," rather than the true white ("ivoire") chocolate of my teenhood, since it contains no cocoa butter, substituting other plant-based fats. BUT, it's very buttery and melty and has an almost frosting-in-a-can quality to it, which I love, and the wafer is crisp and delicate, with a mild, nutty taste. The "frosting" gets top billing, but the wafer base does prevent the bar from being too sickeningly, throat-searingly, tooth-tingling sweet.
This is a very satisfying piece, and as far as mass-market candy goes, it's absolutely delectable. I have no other option but to give it my UMPTEENTH D-rating.

This candy has been rated D (Divine)

No comments: